Monday, February 12, 2007

What's become of Us? OR Where's the fun?

I was just going through a few blogs, when suddenly this thought came up in my mind. Now seriously, what has become of us?

I mean, we used to be a happy bunch earlier. At least that’s how I remember it. Someone told me that we always have fond memories of the past, and selectively remember things. So the past always seems to be happier than it actually was. That’s what nostalgia is all about I suppose. But even after I take that into account, still I can find countless things that we used to do earlier that simply don’t happen these days. And most of us lead a very mundane and drab kind of existence, just waiting for each day to pass, in the hope that, not in the very far future, we will be able to lead an exciting life, full of fun and thrills.

When I say we, it is basically means I with whatever companions that happened to be with me. Most of the times it would have one of my archi buddies from Kgp - Swapnil, Sallu, Maurya, Chachi, Pandu or Iyer. Or it would have been one of my wingies - Manas, VJ, Riz or the whole bunch.

Most of the guys listed above are in jobs now, working their asses off. They don’t have fun anymore. The ones who aren’t in a job, that is Iyer and me, are in IIML, again working our asses off(Okay, okay, yeah, only Iyer’s doing the working thing). We don’t have fun anymore.

I mean, yeah, I don’t work seriously, but I don’t have fun either. Watching movie is not entirely fun, when that is the entire fun you get, right? Yea, I do enjoy teaching, but that is not fun in fun sort of a way. I mean, I do enjoy teaching, but it’s still work that I just happen to enjoy. It’s not fun. Fun is something you have apart from the work. It’s when live your life. Where’s the fun?

We used to do a lot of stuff back at kharagpur, that was really fun. Yeah, we had our low moments, but the highs surpassed the lows by a few good miles. So it really didn’t matter at the end of the day. Anything didn’t go right, and off we went to Harry’s, Chhedis or some such place, and a ‘chai’ session would set everything right. Even the simple walks down the campus, or the trips to Salua, or the LAN games, those were all really fun.

Now, all I can hear around me, see around me, revolves around, marks, quiz scores, TGPAs, CGPAs, n lakh packages, PPOs, PPIs, placements etc. It makes me sick. Call me an escapist if you will. Call me lazy if you will. But, the truth is it really makes me sick to hear these things. I won’t crib about the true spirit of learning or any such crap, but somehow, this is not the way I want to live. I hate, yes, hate, any person who lives this.

What are we really after? Money? Nah. Everyone gets some. No one can have enough. As far as my eyes bring the picture to me, it’s all about ego. Just proving that you are that wee bit better than the next. Okay, if not better then at least at par with. That’s how it works in this world.

From childhood onwards we are fed the line, “just work hard this time and then everything will be peaceful.” Never actually was true. It never is peaceful. It’s always hardwork. Always.

6th class onwards.

You are now in high school. You have to study hard now. Till class 10th you have to study hard. After that, you can relax. Just work hard till 10th and you will get admission in a good10+2 school.

After 10th Exam. You have done well.

Now you have to really study well. It’s a short duration. Only 2 years. Not even 2 full years And there are so many entrance exams. And also the board exams. Study hard for these two years. Then you will get admission into a good college and your life is all set.

After getting into IIT KGP.

Study well and work hard for your graduation. This is what will determine where you will end up in life. Work hard and then you can relax for the rest of your life.

(I didn’t take them seriously anymore. I started living life.)

After graduations and getting into IIM L.

Just these two more years. And then you can rest assured of a a very pleasant life. Just these two years.

No I am not going back to where I was. I will live my life.

8 comments:

sandeep said...

first of all boo hoo hoo ..bhool gaye humein?? what do u think ..that since you arn't there on my blog roll i don't read your blog any more...get lost!!

and secondly ya i agree totally to what you say...i was wondering the same thing...where's my life man!...in fact i myself said those very things a couple of days back....where's the fun, life doesn't ever ever become setteled ...like we were promised numerous times....its always going to be like this ...only more chaotic..i'm scared of the future...marriage, job change, career goals, kids, putting kids through school, kids getting in trouble, parents getting old, me getting old,family politics and god only knows what else, the greatest tragedies of life are those which you don't expect at all to happen...uff...whats there to look forward to yaar??? i get this feeling the best years of our life just passed us by and we were not able to do them enough justice

fd said...

We've become jaded with life, that's what.

The best thing to do would be to carry on doing things that you enjoy and hook up with souls like me who share your views!

Btw nice blog buddy!!

Arvind Iyer said...

Yup.

Imagine ! Here, stage performance of songs became a task for me...eeshh...IIMs can make the best activities boring and stressful.

Still optimistic though...

Anonymous said...

I just remembered a Quote ..

Winner of a rat race remains a rat

Anonymous said...

Hi Surya. I remember you. I used to love you. Your curls and stuff. Anyways, yes fun is important, this is my five point list for stuff to do when i get back home from bitching about, throwing gay glances, farting, strutting about like an idiot and killing small kids' joy:
1)lie down naked in bed with mom and play with her titties.
2)Shake my chest vigorously and watch my nipples hit each other.
3)Measure the enlargement of my butts when i sit down upon them compared to when im standing.
4)Spray ample amounts of deodrant on my asshole and try to light the gas when i fart. (it burns like crazy, teeheeeeheee)
5)Think about(oooh)....YOU.

Anyways for more ways to have fun you could try this contact:+919732655120.
People call this guy a lot of names but we @Kgp usually call him GOD.!

Anonymous said...

Well I don't have much to say. Just happened to get your blog URL so thought to drop in.
Surely its true we don't enjoy anymore and surely we have lost the tempo. But who is responsible? we only. Its not that the time is not enjoyable but just that we are not able to convince ourselves. Just that we live in a psychological apathy. We enjoy looking at beautiful girls, we enjoy remembering the past, we enjoy masturbation, we enjoy everything in one or other way. We also enjoy the superiority feeling and the pride. We enjoy life and death as well.

MoMo said...

From childhood onwards we are fed the line, “just work hard this time and then everything will be peaceful.” Never actually was true. It never is peaceful. It’s always hardwork. Always.


That I guess is the bloody truth of the life. well written surya!!!

Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.