Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The PCOM returns!





So the PCOM returns.

It's a dark day at IIM Lucknow. All the students are terrified. What will happen to their future? Will they actually get placed? Without a placement, what will they do? Their entire life and indeed their very existence and future has come under question.

Amidst lightning and thunderclaps, a secret group meets, hidden somewhere in the labyrinths of the bureaucracy, they decide, they are not letting this happen. They won't let the future of the students be a question mark. They will ensure that every student will get a job. They will ensure that they themselves get a job.

They decided not to have any rules. They can anyways make one when they need. They decide to be anonymous. Their true identity might never be revealed. They can only be known as the PCOM. They would fight all evil at IIM L and swear themselves to the betterment of "all students" at IIM L. Speaking faster English than any other student at IIM it becomes their duty to talk to all company officials and restrain other students from doing so and destroying the reputation of the institution. The evil corporate becomes their greatest ally and the uncooperative student, their sworn enemy.

They have very sophisticated and advanced weapons, called fines and 'mandatory' rules to fight the uncooperative students. They also have a hoard of willing officials at their disposal in their quest to 'place the whole batch'. From that day onwards, the PCOM has been fighting a solitary battle. Outnumbered hugely, but braving all odds, they have till now always succeeded against the uncooperative students.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It seems that my little blog has generated much interest. Though the huge majority of reactions has been in support of the views expressed in my blog, I don't think there were many who agreed with each word of the blog.

To me, the most interesting ones have been the anonymous comments and the ones sent over messenger rather than on the comments section. Many were afraid of the reprisal they might receive from the mighty PCOM if they publicly endorse my views. The others were simply pissed off with my blog. And wanted to piss me off by being anonymous. I do not generally believe in stupid clarifications. They give the stupid comments a stupid dignity that they don't deserve. But for the benefit of some uninitiated people and a few troubled souls, here goes -

  • I was never in PCOM. I guess I never could be. My English is not that good. And I do not possess the sincerity levels that the committee demands. But above all is my desire to live. Hell, they kill people in there.
  • Yes, we are educated. I mean the IIM Lucknovites. And whatever we might have lacked before coming here, we are trying to fill in on that as well.
  • I agree absolutely with Anonymous(1) that
    "its to easy to crib from outside instead of adding some value to the system.....every system has some negatives.....and its very easy to highlight them"
    I also agree that I never
    "tried to think of any possible ways by which these negatives can be done away with"
    For the simple reason that I would like to consider myself a rational person. And knowing how the PCOM and the institute operates, I don't see the ways that I think up being possible.
  • Let me make it make it very clear - to the anonymous PCOM member, especially- DO NOT be under the impression that the PCOM places anybody. They are just a tiny part of a huge system that facilitates the process. They couldn't place themselves, if it came to that, leave alone the 'whole batch'. Without the system they are nothing. So, don't take undue credit. Yes you people do work your asses off. But who asked you to join? Don't give me the shit, that you are in there for my benefit, or for that matter anyone else's except yours. It is not exactly a secret why you joined the PCOM, right?
  • Anonymous(5):
    "Dude. Just one suggestion. If u get a chance do try and find out what Pcom actuall does and why."
    (actuall is a real word?) I had my chance. Sorry dude. Couldn't find out the why part. You are in PCOM, can you tell me the why? Oh, of course you would have given me the why part if you knew. With so much spite you hardly hold back anything.
  • I think by the time my placements come, the PCOM will think up a rule to disallow me. Maybe blogging isn't allowed or something. But yes, if I can, then I won't sit in the placement process.
  • A special note to my anonymous PCOM friend an Open challenge can be Anonymous? Of course, we are talking about the PCOM here. They can do anything. (and yes I really do love my lollipop)
  • I thank you dear PCOM member for having so elegantly shown me the way the way to start off with "respected", and end up with "you moron". That was quite skillfully executed. Only PCOM.
  • Anonymous(5)
    "As for the controls team.. forget it. Its beyond your retarded brain."
    See that's what I am talking about. Only the PCOM have able enough brains for all things which require more intelligence than reading the paper.
I am only an aam aadmi, pained with the system. The ways I can think up of by which my pain can be relieved are not accepted by the mighty PCOM. So I give vent to my ire through this blog.

But I am no revolutionary, bent on improving the standards of PCOM. No, I will suffer and pass out, hopefully with a job in hand. But I will not do that silently. I will tell them they are not good. And I will remind them of my pain, for I am the uncooperative student, their nemesis. I am not cowardly enough to be anonymous, but nor do I have enough bank balance or courage to fight the PCOM head on. I will put my name to whatever I have to say and do, and I will say and do it without fear or guilt.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

One thing I wanna write...
"People are crazy and times are strange.
I am locked in tight, I am out of range.
I used to care but things have changed."
Hahahaha.....
I jusy pity for those poor fellows who give advice to grow up and claim to have 'quality brain' and too brag it, but don't have simple guts to name themselves. Its easy to give anonymous comments though.
But I guess people who add value to system never react to find their act being questioned. But when then do it only implies they have failed to convince themselves of their ability and they are sceptical about their action.

Anonymous said...

Here goes a hi-five to one dude who speaks his heart out. And I thot they disallowed the freedom of speech only in the concentration camps in Nazi Germany. What a fool I was... theres no freedom of speech in IIM L as well. Just a few thoughts put down on the blog get wild reactions from the PCOM.

Theres nothing personal against any PCOM members in particular. As a matter of fact, I believe its because of the 'normal' junta who take the PCOM word for a command and put their life at stake to follow it, tat the PCOM feels its invincible. Even then, I feel thsi was the best system that could be invented so far. It needs improvement. But before that the least that can be expected from PCOM members is that they can be friendly and atleast talk with an occasional smile on their face like some of the PCOM members I know.

Once again Surya... you have done a good job of presenting ur thots in a very interesting way. I loved the "they also carry a cigar which burns the uncooperative students"
kinda lines... it was fun.

Arvind Iyer said...

better, crisper, ruder.

and now you too share my views on sly anonymous blog comments.

"don't just think that just because you are...why don't you have guts and speak this too....you etc etc" :)

Kabuliwallah said...

Surya,

Appreciate the fact that you spoke out against the 'tyranny'. The post is getting popular in other places as well. :-)

Cheers,
Som

Anonymous said...

dude, u r just 2.5 term old out here & have started to question the mere existence of PCom in L.
I have read all ur posts abt pcom & all those came after ur summer placements, if i am not wrong.
if u think pcom selects the teams which worked for u day & night, then u r very wrong. bcoz everyone is free to join any team till the required number is filled up.
I was not in any team, but thought that I cld help the ops team better than any other team,so joined it on the first day of final placements for 20s. then i was a permanent member.
Do u know how many sleepless nights those morons (pcom members) had to spend for ur & my placements. Being in the ops team, i had to wake each & every pcom member @ 0630 , when they had just returned to their rooms @0300hrs. That means they are in the office before any company reaches the campus.
U or I don't get those bombarding calls if a fucker like u in the liasion team doesn't show up his ass to the company in the early morning.
Hope u don't experience the slangs during the wakeup calls to the candidates, who might have been sleeping in their cozy beds while the rest of the team members (read ops, Controls & systems) were sleeping on the ground with a blanket & foam which might have been used by 100 people.
Dude, its really easy to say the pcom sucks from outside, but once u r in any of the teams, u really see what kind of pain they take for getting the whole bunch of aam aadmi placed during the placement weeks.
So, its my due request, stop bitching abt them, bcoz they cld accomplish the task which were given to them during the task round for pcom.
BTW u mentioned that Pcom tries to fit in their friends or whom they know, right. Then it wld mean that Sid Butalia wld have been in the senior pcom team, bcoz he had more friends in the 20th pcom team than any of the applying candidates.
Hope that stops u.

Anonymous said...

@ an ops team member
darling mark ur words "bcoz everyone is free to join any team till the required number is filled up" .... how much is the required number 15 ... ur frm pgp21 ... might be ur p.com did that way.. lemme give u some facts of ur placements process.. a guy when he was not selected in any team n wen he questioned y wasnt he ... the reply was its because of ur leg which met an accident 5 months ago(in term 1)... aaaah how sweet is the P.com selection process for the teams... as far as BUTALIA is concerned he did not sit for the pcom process.. kuch pata nahi bakwaas kare jaate ho.. he was repeating the first hurdle was to clear 1st year... lemme give example of a repeating gal frm ur batch u know if u say to her that u have a quiz tomm. and she is having dinner.. she quited her dinner and went back to her room to muggofy.... once bitten twice shy sweetheart.... and as far as friends are concerned yes they do.... p.com 21 did, p.com 22 is doing and hope so the coming P.com will do the same.... one more for ur lovely P.com u know wat the very first meeting P.com called and ATUL SIR( with high respect and esteem i use the word sir) got an urgent call from her place and the fiery P.com lady replied .. i suppose archana shulka would not have replied that way.. the reply was didnt u know a meeting was scheduled.. y didnt u tell the person not to call .... to a man aged 45.... and y was the meeting called y have only 100 people frm the batch has applied for P.COM... wat kinna authority they wanna show. Its not the hard work of P.com which places us its the hard earned name of the institute which place us..... be it a bitching fact .... but its a fact

Anonymous said...

@ For those who feel that this guy cribs about organisation

He was the president of National Association of Students of Architecture, that represented over 150 colleges. He was the G Sec in Hall and Usec in Department at IIT at the same time. He has hold posts in unbelievable places at the same place and finished works which many of us can just think of.

There must be a big flaw in the PCom @ IIML which has caused this guy to blast out against a student body.. Look into it

ProfPlays said...

whoa! whoa! @ the ops team member...cool down please man! be fair to me...and read the blog again. I didn't say that the poor PCOM don't work. I didn't say they suck. (yikes...what an ugly thought)They are a wonderful bunch of very talented people that work their asses off.
what i did say was that they are not in the PCOM to place me or you or anybody. once they are in, it is their job to facilitate the process. And I think they could be better at it and give me less pain. If they wanted to give up a little of their power they could lead a much comfortable life. and yeah you wouldn't have to sleep on a foam used by another 100 ppl (yikes...another ugly thought) Please don't read others' words on my mouth.
And yeah stop me? from what? come on a little humor never did anyone any harm, right?

Anonymous said...

Congrats Surya for getting into INNOVISION. Hope U wont bitch abt them ,just bcoz most of them are ur close friends out here@Hell.
Some of u already know who am I. Then come along & lets see what u know of the placement process (BTW u only see what is shown to u, not what goes underneath). I know what happens, if still then I am supporting PCOM then I have reasons.
Sorry Surya, its getting too personal out here. Maybe ur blog started this off.
Dont ur anonymous writers have an Identity at HELL.

Anonymous said...

@ops team member
ask ur P.COM guys not to b ano and post messages... ask those fucking hard working guys not to hide their identity and talk from the P.com offices..... and wat abt ur identity.. does ur cv stars with something like "AN ops team member"... thats written on ur birth certi... and we will see wat is shown to us something thats is hidden from us obviously cannot be seen... since u know wat happens wehen we are not supporting P.com we also have reasons.... and yes congratulation to surya for getting into innovision.. proud of u man.........

Sameera said...

this is grt fun surya.....must say i am so proud of u

Anonymous said...

So how many times did you blow your neighbor to get into INNOVISION? And BTW, isn't innovision's only annual task the floating of EOIs of ADIDAS Tees? You seem to think your work in INNO equals Pcoms work in placing the 300 students. The jury is still out on whether a single blowjob to an inno member might be as hard as putting consecutive night-outs for 2 whole years, coordinating around 220 people (Controls, Systems, Ops, Liaison teams) over 5 days and listening to worthless pissants like you ramble on in the virtual world just because you somehow managed to gain admission into a premier bschool (Type 2 errors, QAM 1) and get access to broadband internet.

Why din't you sign out of summers, if you are so pissed off about placecom? Aren't you confident of getting a great job on your own? Why cuss the Pcom members and then depend on them for summers and finals? Why are you trying to fight the system and trying to benefit from it at the same time? Afraid?

PS: I am not placecom. They could not care less about your retarded rantings. This is just funny for anyone actually involved in the placement process, not annoying, as you would have liked it to be.

BTW, why is sameera proud of you? Is your life so pathetic that its high peak is this fucking blog?

Why am I anonymous? I'll have to see your rotten face for a few more months. Thats why. After we are no longer in the same institute, (After I pass out in 2008, a year before your do), I'll post non-anon. I surely will.

Anonymous said...

The placement process is conducted by 200 first years, with placecom providing directions. If thats not sharing power, what is?

Anonymous said...

All you people are missing the point here. The placecom is a student body after all, but did you see how they fucked around with our final placements. It was shocking.....the amount they pushed their guys. PGP 22 still has hope of having a fair and transparent process.

As a student body, the placecom has a skewed sense of ethical behaviour.

FOR MORE DETAILS ASK ANYONE FROM OUR BATCH ABOUT THE PROCESS OF P&G, KOTAK, CADBURY'S ETC ETC ETC.......

The list goes on, and this has been going on forever, its just that this year junior Pcom are too stupid to do it discretely

Anonymous said...

I do agree that the Ops/systems and other team members put in some excellent hard work. Whether they earn some rewards by being favoured in the placement process is another matter.
But lets come to the Placecom Members.
The only reason they are into the committee is to serve their own ends. And talking about their efforts. It would be commendable only if they could manage both academics and the placement process. Ask their group members in various subjects. They are big time free riders and hardly even touch any assignment or project work.
Coming to the rewards of being a Pcom member. Unfair advantage in the placement process can again not be proved easily though everyone knows of its existence. But we all know how one of the esteemeD Pcom members(pgp22 batch)was saved from being kicked out of the institute in the 2nd term(two F grades). Can any ordinary student ever get such a benefit?
The last point. Does anyone know what happens to the thousands of rupees collected as fines in the placement process?

Anonymous said...

Your posts made an interesting read. Its a pity I came across them a bit too late, when all the fireworks were over.
The system does have its own "issues" (at some other point of time I wud have called them major fuck ups but today I feel like being more polite) which most ppl either dont know or pretend that they dont know.
Truth is simple (and since I was placed this yr only I know what all goes on "behind the scenes"). the committee does involve in lots of things it should not(like pushing itself and frnds in placements). I guess they like most of us cant resist this power.
Neways jst one thing, better not to discuss things related to insti on the web... better to use blondie for it. here u dont know who is reading it.
And if u were jst beginning to think that its an anon comment again... well its not..

Rohit Kaul
PGP21187
Batch of 2005
IIM L

Anonymous said...

I am just pained to know that the problem persists since several years. But I have realised one thing at hell: student power has been grossly abused. Professionalism and transparency is needed in the institute's placement process. I suggest to scrap the committee and the process be conducted by a team of people (not a single student) appointed by the chairman to take care of the process.
Pcom's work is highly overrated and member's behaviour at best be called snobbish.
Sorry state of affairs!
Mismanagement at a management school.

Anonymous said...

hahaha.. surya bhai.. in anonymous ans ops member comments ko padh kar main apna hypothesis confirm karana chahunga ki humare batch ke kuch log kaise chutiya the (shayad ab bhi hon, but this is a separate hypothesis)... pls support me in accepting this.. Gaurav

Anonymous said...

surya bhai... mujhe aisa kyun lagta hai ki yeh pcom wale super hero ki shakal yatish bhargav se milti hai? kahin aapka aisa intention to nahi tha? yadi tha to bata deta hun jahan ho vahin gaad denge... he is a good friend of mine. aap is photu ko hata dijiye nahi to main aapko sue bhi kar sakta hun. - Gaurav

ProfPlays said...

@ Gau:

1. Zaroor zaroor, jaise ke har batch mein hote waise hain...waise hi hamare batch mein bhi kuch the... (aur jaise ke aapne bataya hai... it is a separate hypothesis ke ab hain ke nahin)

2. Yeh chinki duniya aap pe asar kar gayee hai lag raha hai....waise Sue hamare hone wali bhabhijee ka naam hai to mujhe kyun sue karenge?

Waise aapka khayal galat hai...Yateesh mera bhi bahut achha dost hai...aur woh to web par se supervillain karke image search karne par mila tha image..hehe

Anonymous said...

surya bhai, naam naa lijiye mera... mujhe anonymous hi rehne dijiye... i prefer that. vaise chutiyon ki baat karein to apney batch mein ek baali namak chutiya hua karta tha... aur ek koi vo computer wali committee mein tha... uski to regular basis fixed income wali class mein liya karta tha main. phir ek vo riddhi kaul wali committee mein tha.. saale ne mera vo kya kehte hain testimonial (vo year book mein) chapne nahi diya tha... ab ek ek karkey gina nahi sakta main.. magar saalon ki lii khoob... pcom mein bhi khoob the.. but not all... i liked yatish, and shikhar.
but coming back to point, any idea yeh anonymous and ops member chutiye kya kar rahe hain aajkal? surya bhai, iim ka koi 25 saal baad wala reunion hota hai kya? hota ho tab bhi saalo ki khoob maarenge (not that iim ke do saalon mein koi kami chhodi thi)... haha...
aur aapke hone wali bhabhi ka naam sue nahi hai... divya hai.

generic cialis 20mg said...

Hello, I do not agree with the previous commentator - not so simple

Unknown said...

Great post mate. Always believed that the entire setup of PCom is screwed up. Earned a load of opposition and criticism, but never got any logic to tell me why.

Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.